Skip to main content

The Devil is a Liar

"My God has set me free
Opened my eyes, now I can see
The devil is a liar
And he's not fooling me" ~ "The Devil is a Liar" - We Are Messengers

As anyone familiar with my blog probably already knows, my life has not been an easy one. I've dealt with the deaths of people I loved dearly, seen my dream lying shattered at my feet, and at one point saw no purpose left in my life but to end it.

The past week has been no exception. I had to deal with a costly repair to my car and students who refused to listen or work. To say that my depression hit me hard on Tuesday would be an understatement. Not only that, but I also developed a headache by the end of the day that lasted well into Wednesday even though I went to bed early that night to try and dispell it. However, I don't tell you these things to try and get you to pity me. Instead, I tell you because these events do not define me, and similar events in your own life don't define you.

One of the main things that drove my depression was feeling regret about past purchases. The cost of the car repairs would not have been quite so problematic if I was not as close to my credit limit as I currently am. Not all of the money spent was on things I shouldn't have bought. In fact, the higher-priced purchases were other necessary car repairs. I have also poured money into my crafting business that has not paid off, such as paying for craft fairs and not selling nearly enough to cover my booth fee.

However, the majority of my spending was things I bought for myself, and while some things were things I needed, most were clothes I bought for myself simply because I wanted to. I would tell myself not to buy anything because I couldn't afford to, and then I'd end up buying something anyway. I didn't want to spend the money on something at full price, but the price would drop incrementally, and suddenly I was okay with it. Even during the summers when I wasn't working I would spend money as though I was.

While I have spent time beating myself up about these poor decisions leading to my current financial difficulties, I refuse to do so anymore. Living in a pit of my regret and shame is just where Satan wants me, and I don't want him to have the satisfaction of trapping me there. Christ died to set me free, and because of His sacrifice, I no longer have to submit myself to be bound by Satan's chains. So when I hear the hiss of his voice in my ear reminding me of all I've done wrong, I need to remember to pray and let the truth of Christ drown out the lies. The devil is a liar, and with God's help, he will never fool me again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It