Skip to main content

I'm a What, Now?

"But you, dear children, are from God and have overcome them because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world"~1 John 4:4

Those of you who read my post "Life>Death" will remember that I talked about a young woman who called herself a suicide survivor because her father took his own life, and then used her status as an endorsement to talk about how suicide was not a selfish act. In my post, I stated that since she did not actually survive suicide, she was not a suicide survivor. However, I found out recently that family and friends of suicide victims being called "suicide survivors" is a thing. As in a psychologist-defined, support group namesake thing. As someone who has actually survived the temptation to commit suicide, this fact is quite frustrating.

One reason is because of people like the young lady mentioned in my other post thinking they are experts in suicide because they are "suicide survivors." I don't understand how they could possibly believe this. We don't become experts at something because we know someone who did it. That would be an absurd notion if said about a family member performing surgery or re-wiring a house, and it is just as absurd a notion in this situation.

Another reason is the resultant clunkiness of the terminology for real survivors. People who survived a suicide attempt are "suicide attempt survivors," but what about those of us who were tempted but never did anything about it? There isn't a nice, neat term for us. I guess that makes me a "girl-who-was-lied-to-by-Satan-himself-in-an-attempt-to-convince-her-that-her-life-was-no-longer-worth-living-but-was-saved-by-the-grace-of-God-and-the-power-of-the-Holy-Spirit." That terminology's not working for me because it is just too many words. Saying that I am a suicide survivor conveys all of that in a much more succinct way. I believe that I have earned the right to use that term to refer to myself, but because of the prevailing use of the term, I am likely to be misunderstood when I do so.

Which brings me to my next objection. With any other cause of death, sticking the word "survivor" after it yields a phrase that means someone who faced that particular scenario head-on and survived it. Cancer survivors are people who had cancer at one time, but no longer have it. Heart attack survivors are people who had a heart attack that didn't prove fatal. So it's incredibly disconcerting for us real suicide survivors to find that after facing Satan head on and wielding the sword of the Spirit and the shield of faith to beat back his lies about our worth, the term that should tout us as war heroes is instead something that would be used for our friends and family had we accepted defeat. This should not be so!

This misuse of terminology can also literally prove deadly. About 40 percent of people who die of suicide have made a previous attempt. This number is way too high, and a contributing factor could easily be the fact that they are not referred to as survivors! If they are not called suicide survivors, some people will buy into Satan's lie that they weren't meant to live, and will try another method of ending their lives.

Another reason could be that since people who actually survived the temptation to commit suicide aren't referred to as suicide survivors, their needs as suicide survivors aren't being met. As a survivor myself, I dealt with numerous emotions as a result. I felt guilty for not seeking help, questioned why I survived when so many others do not, felt shame that I had come so close to believing the lies, and wondered if I would ever find a husband who would forgive me for almost deleting part of God's plan for his life. It was years before I could admit the truth to anyone, and I ended up telling people I hadn't known during that time before I told people I had. Even now, there are people who were close to me during that time of my life who have no idea what I was going through. It was only through a great deal of prayer and long conversations with trusted friends and family to get me to a point where I no longer suffer from that emotional turmoil. Many people who are also suicide survivors may not have a good support system and a faith that sustains them. That's why it's important that we change the terminology to empower them and let them know that they are not alone.

So if you know someone who has been fed lies that their life wasn't worth living anymore and has fought against and overcome those lies, call them what they are: a survivor. They've earned that title considering that their fight was against an enemy that was both unseen and malicious. We may not change the prevailing use of the term "suicide survivors," but we may just save someone's life, and that, my brothers and sisters, is worth a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It