Skip to main content

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title? I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that in them.

The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word.

Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this. I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I already knew why Jesus came. However, doing the readings throughout the week helped this fact to sink in like it never really had before. It's one thing to know that I am free from the punishment my sins deserve, and another entirely to internalize that. Each section of each chapter ends with the "so that" statement from that chapter to finish, and as the week went on, the way I finished the statement became less general and more personal.

I figured Chapter Two, "God Spoke So That," might prove a bit more challenging. While 2 Timothy 3:16-17, the memory verses for that chapter, is something I know, those verses are a more recent acquisition in my Biblical memory bank. As I figured, this chapter prompted me to really take a hard look at myself and analyze where I was spiritually. The third section of this chapter deals with the parable of the sower. While I had read this story many times before, I had never taken the time to really break it down. One activity in this section was to dissect this story and describe the heart represented by each of the different types of soil. There was also the question "Do you think the 'soil' of our hearts can be changed?" Both of these things prompted me to look at myself and think about what type of soil I am, and what type of soil I may have been in the past. I believe that the "soil" of our hearts can change because I've seen it in my own life. My heart may be good soil now, but I know that it has been rocky and thorny in the past.

I found it interesting that we studied this section during Holy Week, and wondered if the pairing would help provide added insights. I was not disappointed. My church has a Garden of Gethsemane prayer vigil that begins at 7:00 on the evening of Maundy Thursday and ends at 7:00 the morning of Good Friday. Church members can sign up for one-hour shifts throughout the night to pray so that Jesus will not be alone. I signed up for the 6:00-7:00 shift on Friday morning, and since that is when I've been reading the book, I took it with me. I found that I was much more able to focus in the silent sanctuary. One of the passages in Section Five was Ephesians 6:10-18, which deals with putting on the full armor of God. We were asked to write down the six pieces of armor and analyze how we use each piece in our lives. I enjoyed digging deeper into this passage and prayerfully considering how I can use the armor of God to help me in my daily life.

The title of Chapter Three was "Pray So That," and before reading it, I thought my prayer life was good. I had moved from just praying at meals, church and bedtime to praying whenever I thought of something I needed to pray about. If I saw someone on Facebook asking for prayers, I would pray immediately rather than waiting until a specific time. I figured the memory verse, Hebrews 4:16, would be my only challenge since it was unfamiliar to me. Boy, was I wrong.

In the chapter, it talked about praying without ceasing, which to me meant being willing to pray whenever and wherever the mood struck me. I thought I had that down, but as I studied the chapter, I realized I was wrong. I would pray when I was happy, when I was sad, when I was thinking about someone who needed prayers and even whenever I thought about my future. However, I realized as I studied that I wasn't praying when I was mad, which, let's face it, happens more often than I care to admit. This fact really sunk in Thursday as I drove home from work. It had been a long and frustrating day and I was quite happy to be done with it, but since I was in a bad mood, everyone on the roadway that wasn't driving properly was annoying me to no end. Then I felt God nudging me to give up my frustration to Him, so I did. I ranted and raged and poured all my frustration out, and you know what, I started to feel better. The frustrating circumstances didn't change, but my view of them did.

I can't wait to see what changes are in store for me in these last two weeks of the study.

Comments

  1. Amy, God is changing and transforming you in a mighty way! I enjoyed reading how this study has been a blessing to you. Thank you for sharing! Natalie ( Proverbs 31 Ministries OBS Team)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, isn't it such an encouragement to your spirit when God sheds understanding in your heart? I love that you continue to desire to learn and grow and allow God to change you. I'm so glad you shared your thoughts here!

    Missy (Proverbs 31 OBS Volunteer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I love when God provides fresh insights to us through our study times! It's such an encouragement that you long to be changed and to learn and grow. Thank you so much for sharing your heart here.

    Missy (Proverbs 31 Ministries OBS Volunteer)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

My Fun October

This last month has been a blast, and I wanted to share the highlights with you, my loyal readers. So here, in chronological order, are the events that made my October a great one. Kansas Authors' Club Convention:  This took place the first weekend of the month right here in my hometown. Even though I have been a member for a few years, this was the first convention I had been to, mainly because I didn't want to pay for the convention and a hotel room. I am so glad I went, and I enjoyed it so much that I'll probably keep going every year even if it involves travel and a hotel. I learned so much from the sessions I went to about honing my craft that I came home eager to write more often. I also met some awesome fellow writers including the Poet Laureate Emeritus of Kansas. He was very fun to talk to and loves to eat bread, a fact I later wrote a poem about. One of the sessions I participated in was a poetry and music event. Each poet read their piece once, then two jaz

Look Mommy! I See Jesus!

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."~2 Corinthians 3:18 Last week was Vacation Bible School at my church. I helped out in storytelling along with four other people, including the associate pastor. For the three stories that came from the New Testament, the associate pastor played Jesus, and that got me to wondering how many of the kids would start believing that he actually was Jesus. Then I thought, Is that really such a bad thing? As Christians, we are called to reflect Christ as we go about our daily lives. This means loving others the way Christ loves us, accepting others who may be different, offering forgiveness even when we don't feel it's deserved, and serving others the way Christ served his disciples. We can talk about our faith all we want, but when we are actually living it out is when it is most effective. Th