Skip to main content

What Would You Say?

"What if tomorrow
What if today
Faced with the question
What would you say?" ~ Michael W. Smith, "This is Your Time"

Last month marked 20 years since the deadly school shooting at Columbine High School. To some, this was just the first in an epidemic of mass shootings that is beginning to spread farther and farther. While this is unfortunately very true, that day means something different for me. What I heard about in the aftermath of that day caused me to question the strength of my faith for the first time in my young life.

At the time of the shooting, I was 11 years old, and though I grew up in the church, had only really been a Christian for about a year. When I first heard about Cassie Bernall being shot after admitting to being a Christian, I was shocked. The thought of someone being killed for faith in Christ was completely foreign to me. At that point in my life, everyone I knew was a Christian, so it was hard for me to understand that anyone wasn't, and even harder to accept that someone would be so anti-Christianity that they would kill someone because of it.

The song quoted above came out shortly after the tragedy, and listening to it really got me thinking about what I would say if I were asked about my faith under similar circumstances. I wanted to believe that I would say yes, but I honestly didn't know. I prayed that I would never have to find out.

In the past 20 years, much of my faith journey has centered around how I would answer that question were it ever asked to me. I can now say that my answer would be a resounding yes. My life has had its ups and downs, but God has been faithful to me through everything, so it is my honor to remain faithful to Him. I still pray that I never find myself in that situation, but I also pray for the strength to admit my loyalty if it ever happens. I don't want to die for a good, long while, but I know precisely where I am going when I do. If faced with a situation where my belief cost me my life, I would immediately go from acknowledging God to standing in His presence, and I think that would be a thrilling transition from this life to the next.

What about you? I'm guessing most of you reading this blog are Christians, or at least want to be. The day may come when you have to stand up for your faith, and while the situation might not be a matter of life or death, it could still be uncomfortable or unpopular to do so. If you're not sure yet, that's okay. I used to be that way too. Many of us who live in countries where we have religious freedom don't really consider this question unless we have to. However, if you don't know how you would respond, I urge you to pray about it. Knowing the answer serves a purpose even if we never find ourselves in a difficult situation such as this because it gives us hope in other difficult situations. The more we pray, the closer we get to God, and the closer we get to God, the easier it is to answer this question. This closeness to God also helps us be better representatives of Him in our fallen world, and will draw others to want to know more about the hope that is within us. So will you say yes to Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It