Skip to main content

Obey Your Verse

Earlier this summer, I had a can of Sprite that was part of its "Obey Your Verse" campaign. However, the verse it was telling me to obey was "Me, I'm supa fly, supa dupa fly," which is not only unintelligible, but also not something that could be obeyed. In looking more into the campaign, I found that most of the verses chosen were this way. While the artists were chosen because of Sprite's history with working with hip hop artists, some of the verses chosen leave a lot to be desired. That got me to thinking about lyrics of some of my favorite songs that not only can be obeyed, but are worthy of being obeyed. Here are some examples:

Hawk Nelson, "Sold Out":

I'm sold out
I'm no longer living just for myself
Running after Jesus with my whole heart
And now I'm ready to shout
I am sold out

I'm sold out
With every single step that I take now
With every drop of blood left in my veins
I'm gonna be making it count
I am sold out

Tenth Avenue North, "For Those Who Can't Speak":

I have dreamed
Of a kingdom coming
Where evil drowns
In mercy's streams

I wanna see
Those rivers of justice
So I'll use my voice
For those who can't speak

Group 1 Crew, "He Said": Don't you forget what He said.

Tobymac, "Move":

So move
Keep walking
Soldier keep moving on

Move
Keep walking
Until the morning comes

Move
Keep walking
Soldier keep moving on
And lift your head
It ain't over yet

For King and Country, "Ceasefire"

One by one
We will call for a ceasefire
One by one
We will fight for a better end

One by one
We can rewrite the headlines
Standing side by side
Ceasefire

Newsboys, "Crazy"

Crazy
I don't care if the whole world calls me
Crazy
I don't care if it looks like I've

Lost my mind
I'm alive
To live a reckless, righteous, foolish life
Maybe
I was born to be crazy

These are just a sampling of the inspiring ideas found in the songs I listen to that I choose to obey. What about you? Are there any songs you know that have inspiring lyrics to obey? Feel free to comment and tell me about them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It