Skip to main content

26 Things for Christian Girls to do While Single

Recently I read the oft-shared article "23 Things to do Instead of Getting Engaged Before You're 23," and I had mixed feelings about the list provided. Some things I've already done, such as cutting my hair, adopting a pet and getting a passport. Some things weren't my style, such as going to the Philippines and watching GIRLS over and over again. Other things were things I would NEVER do as a Christian lady, such as exploring a new religion, dating two people at the same time and posing naked in front of a window (I mean, who would really WANT to do that. Eeeeew!) After some thought, I decided to come up with my own list of things to do before getting married. Many of these are just suggestions, but they are great things for us Christian girls to do before tying the knot. So without further ado, 26 beneficial things to do as a Godly single lady.

1. Go on a mission trip, preferably to a place you've never been before. If you can, try to go to a foreign country. There's nothing that puts your life in perspective better than serving those less fortunate.

2. Sponsor a child. If you can't afford to sponsor a child on your own, partner with a friend or family member to sponsor one. Compassion International is the organization I go through, but World Vision is also good. I have been incredibly blessed through my sponsorship, and a little boy half a world away knows that someone in America cares about him and prays for him daily.

3. Find a charity that you are passionate about. If you can't afford to give them money, give them your prayers. There are many wonderful charities out there needing financial and prayer partners.

4. Give an alternate gift to someone at Christmastime. You're planning on spending the money anyway, and this is a great thing to do for the person who already has everything, and you'll be helping people who really need your help.

5. Treat your parents to dinner. They've bought you food millions of times, so once you have the money to, it's nice to return the favor.

6. Take your father out to a movie. Father-daughter dates are a great way to build the relationship with your dad, who is the first earthly man to ever love you.

7. Have a heart-to-heart chat with your mother. She's been where you are, and she can give you advice to face challenges you may be experiencing.

8. Take care of yourself. You may still be single, but you are God's child, and your body is His temple. Taking care of your body is a way to honor Him, and is a way to stay healthy throughout your single life and your marriage.

9. Take some time just for you. Solitude is a great way to de-stress, and you can also get things done that you've always wanted to do.

10. Learn a new skill. Whether it's something crafty, like knitting or embroidery, or something physical, like trying a new sport, take some time to expand your horizons.

11. Buy something nice for yourself. When you're wearing something you enjoy wearing, you ooze confidence, and people are more willing to want to get to know you.

12. Spend time doing something you love. Whether it's reading, writing, playing sports or listening to music, what we enjoy doing is a vital part of who we are, so doing what we love is a great way to keep ourselves real.

13. Love who you are. When you love who you are, others will be drawn to you. Loving yourself is the first step to anyone loving you, including your future husband.

14. Start a future husband journal. Write in it everything you would tell your future husband if you were already married to him. Give it to him on your wedding night. You may not fill the whole notebook before you get married, but any pages left empty could be used to write love notes to your husband afterwards.

15. Pray for your future husband. Pray that he guards his heart so that it is ready to join with yours when the time comes.

16. Fall in love with Christ. It's one thing to believe in Him, and another to love Him with your whole heart. He alone can give you the true love your heart so desires, and if you find that love in Him, you won't be placing expectations on your future husband that no human man could ever fulfill.

17. Choose a love song, and sing it to Christ. Since you love Him, why not sing about it?

18. Read Song of Solomon out loud. It is a love story, yes, but it has been interpreted to be God's love letter to his people. Read it out loud as though Christ were the man in the story and you were the young woman he loves, because you are.

19. Read the bible through at least once. The Bible is God's Word revealed to us. Reading it is a great way to know God's heart and grow closer to Him.

20. Memorize a chapter of scripture. Psalms 23 is a good one to start with. When you have God's Word stored in your heart, it is easy to access throughout the day.

21. Find a church that you love to attend. If your church is one that you like going to, you are more likely to faithfully attend.

22. Once you find that church, connect yourself with a ministry within it. Most churches have a variety of ministries catering to people with different strengths. Being a part of a ministry is a great way to help support the church you attend. 

23. Be a part of a small group. Small groups are a great way to grow closer to God along with friends who can keep you accountable.

24. Find a devotion book to use. There are varying options for all types of people. Some last for only a month or two, some last a whole year. Some are daily, some are weekly. Find the one that works for you, and use it.

25. Teach someone something. You could teach a friend how to do something you enjoy doing, or you could teach a Sunday school class. Either way, you are using your skills to enrich someone else's life.

And last but not least:

26. Do something silly. Dance around your room in your pajamas, sing karaoke into a hairbrush, come up with a goofy rap, watch a cheesy movie. Life is more than just the serious business of growing up. God wants us to have fun, so have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It