Skip to main content

Jeopardy

     Watching Jeopardy the last few weeks has been exhilarating. Amy Schneider won 40 total games, which puts her in second place for all-time wins. What's even more impressive is most of those wins came from runaway games. Her knowledge of a myriad of topics was inspiring, and her buzzer speed was excellent. Before her loss last Wednesday, I thought she could have easily overtaken Ken Jennings' amazing winning streak from 2004. You would think that every fan of the show would have been cheering her meteoric rise to game show stardom, but that wasn't the case. The reason: while she may be female now, she was born male.

    In a previous post, I discussed some of my thoughts about transgenderism. While I may not agree with it, that doesn't mean I didn't want Amy to keep winning. I appreciated her good gameplay even though I don't agree with her choices. Being transgender didn't negate the fact that she was an excellent Jeopardy contestant. 

    Something we seem to have lost in our society is the ability to disagree with others without dehumanizing them. Too often, the disagreement becomes all that is important, and the relationship suffers as a result. I touched on this issue some in an earlier post. 

    The truth is, no matter what we disagree about, we can still find something that we agree about. A prime example is the friendship I've talked about losing in a few of my recent posts. We met in a church group in college and bonded over our shared faith and love of music. Those two aspects of our personalities haven't changed, but he chose to let a disagreement with me ruin our friendship. I think he's forgotten, as it seems many people have, what For King and Country talk about in their newest song: "What if we're all the same in different kinds of ways?" Every single person on this Earth was created in the image of God, and when we use our differences to separate ourselves from others, we are not honoring our God-given assignment to love others the way He loves us. 

    There's been a lot of talk recently about getting back to normal following the pandemic. I think the only way to do so is by going back to a point where we actually talked to other people and listened to what they had to say, even if we didn't agree. Where we were willing to be open and honest with others, even if it meant running the risk of getting hurt. And most importantly, where we lived life without fear of the future and didn't lash out at those who didn't share our fears. Actually, I think returning to normal is too safe a goal. I think we should try to push ourselves to be better than our pre-pandemic normal. That's the only way that we can truly reach our world with the love and acceptance that Christ offers to all who believe in Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alre...

Help Me Find It

Much of my life has not been easy. There are many times when God's will for my life didn't seem very clear. One of those times was just after I graduated college in December 2011. Less than a week after my graduation, I found I was not admitted into the school counseling program, which was my second choice of masters programs. I had been planning to get a master's in special education, but after two failed student teaching attempts, that future was no longer possible. So right before Christmas, I found out that other than having my apartment for another semester, there was really no good reason to return to Manhattan. I did return, and ended up taking a couple of classes. I considered looking into another master's degree program. After much prayer, I decided that instead of jumping into applying for another master's program, it would be better for me to return home at the end of the semester and get a job as a para so I could gain more experience working with childr...

That Song Takes Me Back

If you read my post, " Road Trip Reflections " you know that I listened to some older albums on my road trip to St. Louis. One thing I meant to put in that post, but forgot to, is how listening to those songs brought back memories of when they first came out. I considered going back and adding that point, but I decided not to because those songs aren't the only ones that are reminders of my past, either because of what was happening in my life when I first heard the song, a past event that I was reminded of the first time I heard the song, or what happened after I knew the song well that drove me to the comfort the song provided. Most of the time, the memories are positive, but there are a few that bring back bad memories. Here are some of the songs that take me back, starting with some I listened to on my trip. Steven Curtis Chapman-" Fingerprints of God " This song originally came out in 1999, but when it really started speaking to me was two years later. ...