Skip to main content

Obey Your Verse

Earlier this summer, I had a can of Sprite that was part of its "Obey Your Verse" campaign. However, the verse it was telling me to obey was "Me, I'm supa fly, supa dupa fly," which is not only unintelligible, but also not something that could be obeyed. In looking more into the campaign, I found that most of the verses chosen were this way. While the artists were chosen because of Sprite's history with working with hip hop artists, some of the verses chosen leave a lot to be desired. That got me to thinking about lyrics of some of my favorite songs that not only can be obeyed, but are worthy of being obeyed. Here are some examples:

Hawk Nelson, "Sold Out":

I'm sold out
I'm no longer living just for myself
Running after Jesus with my whole heart
And now I'm ready to shout
I am sold out

I'm sold out
With every single step that I take now
With every drop of blood left in my veins
I'm gonna be making it count
I am sold out

Tenth Avenue North, "For Those Who Can't Speak":

I have dreamed
Of a kingdom coming
Where evil drowns
In mercy's streams

I wanna see
Those rivers of justice
So I'll use my voice
For those who can't speak

Group 1 Crew, "He Said": Don't you forget what He said.

Tobymac, "Move":

So move
Keep walking
Soldier keep moving on

Move
Keep walking
Until the morning comes

Move
Keep walking
Soldier keep moving on
And lift your head
It ain't over yet

For King and Country, "Ceasefire"

One by one
We will call for a ceasefire
One by one
We will fight for a better end

One by one
We can rewrite the headlines
Standing side by side
Ceasefire

Newsboys, "Crazy"

Crazy
I don't care if the whole world calls me
Crazy
I don't care if it looks like I've

Lost my mind
I'm alive
To live a reckless, righteous, foolish life
Maybe
I was born to be crazy

These are just a sampling of the inspiring ideas found in the songs I listen to that I choose to obey. What about you? Are there any songs you know that have inspiring lyrics to obey? Feel free to comment and tell me about them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alre...

Help Me Find It

Much of my life has not been easy. There are many times when God's will for my life didn't seem very clear. One of those times was just after I graduated college in December 2011. Less than a week after my graduation, I found I was not admitted into the school counseling program, which was my second choice of masters programs. I had been planning to get a master's in special education, but after two failed student teaching attempts, that future was no longer possible. So right before Christmas, I found out that other than having my apartment for another semester, there was really no good reason to return to Manhattan. I did return, and ended up taking a couple of classes. I considered looking into another master's degree program. After much prayer, I decided that instead of jumping into applying for another master's program, it would be better for me to return home at the end of the semester and get a job as a para so I could gain more experience working with childr...

That Song Takes Me Back

If you read my post, " Road Trip Reflections " you know that I listened to some older albums on my road trip to St. Louis. One thing I meant to put in that post, but forgot to, is how listening to those songs brought back memories of when they first came out. I considered going back and adding that point, but I decided not to because those songs aren't the only ones that are reminders of my past, either because of what was happening in my life when I first heard the song, a past event that I was reminded of the first time I heard the song, or what happened after I knew the song well that drove me to the comfort the song provided. Most of the time, the memories are positive, but there are a few that bring back bad memories. Here are some of the songs that take me back, starting with some I listened to on my trip. Steven Curtis Chapman-" Fingerprints of God " This song originally came out in 1999, but when it really started speaking to me was two years later. ...