Skip to main content

The End of the World

According to one interpretation of the Mayan calendar, the world will end tomorrow. Or will it? I personally believe it won't for three reasons. The first is that I believe in Jesus and take him at his word. He said that we would not know the day or the hour, and I believe him. He said that he didn't know and that the angels didn't know, so any claim to know is ludicrous. Therefore, people say tomorrow is the day, so it must not be.

A second reason is that there are many interpretations of the fact that tomorrow is the last day of the Mayan calendar. Some feel that the end of the calendar does not mean the end of the world, but rather the end of an era. Another is that the Mayas may not have ever thought we would still be around now. The Mayas disappeared around 950 AD, and they may have thought that the world might end long before the calendar did. Other more humorous ones include the person making the calendar stopping for a beer, wanting to play a practical joke on future humans and simply running out of room for more numbers. Whatever alternate interpretation seems most feasible, the fact that there is more than one proves that there is doubt about the main interpretation.

Last but certainly not least, I believe that God still has a plan for my life, a plan that could not be lived out if tomorrow is the day the world ends. I know that God has a plan for others that I know as well. That being said, there is no way that the world could possibly end tomorrow. There is just so much we have left to do here on this Earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alre...

Help Me Find It

Much of my life has not been easy. There are many times when God's will for my life didn't seem very clear. One of those times was just after I graduated college in December 2011. Less than a week after my graduation, I found I was not admitted into the school counseling program, which was my second choice of masters programs. I had been planning to get a master's in special education, but after two failed student teaching attempts, that future was no longer possible. So right before Christmas, I found out that other than having my apartment for another semester, there was really no good reason to return to Manhattan. I did return, and ended up taking a couple of classes. I considered looking into another master's degree program. After much prayer, I decided that instead of jumping into applying for another master's program, it would be better for me to return home at the end of the semester and get a job as a para so I could gain more experience working with childr...

I'm a What, Now?

"But you, dear children, are from God and have overcome them because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world"~1 John 4:4 Those of you who read my post " Life>Death " will remember that I talked about a young woman who called herself a suicide survivor because her father took his own life, and then used her status as an endorsement to talk about how suicide was not a selfish act. In my post, I stated that since she did not actually survive suicide, she was not a suicide survivor. However, I found out recently that family and friends of suicide victims being called "suicide survivors" is a thing. As in a psychologist-defined, support group namesake thing. As someone who has actually survived the temptation to commit suicide, this fact is quite frustrating. One reason is because of people like the young lady mentioned in my other post thinking they are experts in suicide because they are "suicide survivors." I don...