Skip to main content

Calling for a Ceasefire

"One by one we will call for a ceasefire
One by one we will fight for a better end
One by one we can rewrite the headlines
We're standing side by side
Ceasefire" ~ For King and Country, "Ceasefire"

    As probably all of my American readers, and maybe even some international readers, already know, George Floyd died in Minneapolis on Monday, May 25 after a police officer knelt on his neck for almost nine minutes. Since that day, protests have taken place in cities across the country, and even some places in other countries. Most of the protests have been peaceful, like the one here in Wichita, Kansas last Saturday. Unfortunately, many others have not been. While I grieve this senseless tragedy, I don't think violence is the answer.

    One reason I feel this way is because the violence of the protests can easily overshadow the reason behind them. Almost six years ago, Michael Brown was shot in Ferguson, Missouri. The weeks that followed were filled with protests and riots that tore the city apart. As I sat down to write this post, I had to Google the incident to remember his name because all I could remember was the destruction of the protests. Even years later, I avoided staying in a motel in Ferguson because of them. Those protesting now want people to remember what happened to Floyd so that it never happens again, but to achieve that goal, his name needs to be the center of the protests, not destruction.

    Additionally, Martin Luther King Jr., a hero of the Civil Rights Movement, made history because he refused to become violent in his protests, even openly condemning people who tried to turn to violence during them. Not even Google can tell me who led the brutal protests in Ferguson because nobody knows. In fact, six young men heavily involved in the protests have died, including one during the protests, and three from suicides years later. For these six young men, the violence they supported came back and destroyed them. These things just go to show that Martin Luther King might have been on to something.


    Some people have tried to justify the riots saying that Jesus once flipped over tables (John 2:13-16).  What these people fail to understand is this comparison simply doesn't work. As I pointed out on one post about this, Jesus flipped the tables of the money changers, the people who sparked His controlled display of anger, and then He stopped. The rioters now are targeting places at random to destroy, including businesses owned by black entrepreneurs, like this one. Doing this is actually hurting the people they are trying to fight for.

    Another reason not to use Jesus' table-flipping as an excuse for the rioting is that in numerous places, Jesus tells us not to fight back against those who are hurting us. In Matthew 5:39-41, Jesus says, "Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile." In verse 44, He reiterates His point by saying, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." However, I think the most telling example of His call to us to not respond in violence came as He was being arrested. His good buddy Peter stepped up to protect Him, as any friend would, and chopped off a guy's ear (John 18:10). Not only did Jesus heal the man's ear (Luke 22:51), but He rebuked Peter by saying, "Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword." (Matthew 26:52)

    Now I'm not saying that all of the blame lies on the rioters, who many of the peaceful protestors have stated don't represent them. I think the police response has quite a bit to do with it as well. Last Saturday, the protests here in Wichita remained peaceful because the police officers treated the protestors with respect. People who feel respected are more likely to respond respectfully.
    
    However, there are cities throughout the country where the police officers have not been respectful. Instead of showing up ready to converse with the protestors, they show up prepared to fight, even occasionally clearing them out of a certain area for no really good reason. Unfortunately, people in power, including President Trump, have supported this militaristic response. Some governors have sent out National Guard units to the protests, and Trump threatened to send active-duty military personnel to states that aren't using the National Guard. While I agree with the need to protect the citizens of the places where riots are occurring, I don't think this is the way to do so. Speaking from experience, frustration and anxiety are emotions that are uncomfortable to people because they don't feel like they are in control of them. Anger, on the other hand, is an emotion that people feel more in control of, and as such, will default to it when stressed. A militaristic response to peaceful protests leads to increased fear and anxiety, which easily leads to more anger, which in turn leads to more violence.

    This whole situation could have been avoided if the officers involved in arresting Floyd had taken a Non-Violent Crisis Intervention course similar to what I had to take as part of my job and followed through on what it teaches. A few of the tactics that I have to adhere to in the event I need to restrain a student are not blocking their airway, not keeping them from communicating, and reducing or eliminating the restraint when the student stops struggling. Not only that, but we are taught ways to interact with the student to keep them from reaching the point where restraint is necessary. Yes, what the police have to deal with is far different than dealing with students with special needs, but that doesn't mean that they aren't responsible for maintaining as much peace in a situation as they can. There is absolutely no reason why a man who was accused of passing off a phony $20 bill met his demise under the knee of a police officer when others have walked free for far greater offenses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It