Skip to main content

Follower or Pharisee?

"Go and make disciples of all nations."~Matthew 28:19

About a year ago, something happened that shook the Christian music community. Vicky Beeching, a renown singer and songwriter of worship music, announced that she was gay. Since then, people have boycotted her music, churches that she often did concerts at refuse to let her come back, and her earnings have drastically dropped. She has been cast aside by the very community that she was an integral part of helping to develop. However, this response is the absolute worst thing to do in this situation.

Other forums will debate whether or not homosexuality is a sin. It really doesn't matter. She is one of our sisters in Christ, and casting her out because she is a "sinner" is a wretched thing to do. NEWS FLASH PEOPLE! WE ARE ALL SINNERS! Romans 3:23 states "for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" (emphasis mine). None of us is without sin, so we have absolutely no grounds to call her a sinner.

Additionally, she didn't just become gay last year. All those years she was writing and performing worship songs, she was gay, but she was pretending she wasn't, thereby living a lie. And there's no question that lying is a sin because it's in the Ten Commandments. So why is it worse to be homosexual than to be a liar? God doesn't rank some sins as worse than others, it's us that do that. Any sin is rebellion against God, and so all sins are equal in His eyes.

Her announcement hasn't changed her heart for God. In fact, it has freed her to be closer to Him because there are no secrets weighing down her heart anymore. I have listened to some of her songs, and can hear the passion she has for her Savior. She may not be attracted to earthly men, but she has clearly surrendered her heart to a heavenly one. I'd be interested to hear songs she has written in the past year, because I'm sure they are even better than those written before. I know from personal experience how being honest opened up a relationship with Christ that was deeper than I could have ever imagined. I'm sure she is finding the same thing.

This post opens with the verse commonly referred to as the Great Commission. Jesus wants us to go out and share His love with everyone around us, but we can't do this when we are so publicly shaming one of our sisters. No one will want to join us when we do things like this to those who already have. Our witness is compromised, and people start believing that we are not all that we say we are. Let's prove them wrong by loving our brothers and sisters the way we are called to by our Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It