Skip to main content

Save My Life

"Maybe God is calling you tonight to tell me something that might save my life"
          ~Sidewalk Prophets, "Save My Life"

People. We see them everyday. At work, at school, at the store, at a restaurant, at church, and anywhere else we may go. Some of these people we know, others we don't and may never will. Many of these people are Christian, others are not. Of those that aren't, some are of a different religion, others don't believe in anything, and others don't know what to believe, but desire to. What makes us all the same is that we are all human and all have a desire to be loved. No matter who we are and where we come from, our lives will have joy and sorrow, gains and losses, times when the future stretches before us like a blank canvas, and times it may not seem like there is a future. In the good times, we rejoice in all that has happened to bring us joy, but when hard times come, we just want to know that there are people that care about us. Many of us are blessed to have family and friends that support us through whatever we may be going through, but unfortunately there are people who don't have this luxury. For these people, even the smallest of kind gestures from a complete stranger can mean the world to them.

Some people have the resources to produce such grand gestures as paying off student loans or providing food for someone living in poverty, but even those of us who are not quite as affluent can still make a difference. Even something as small as asking someone how they are doing, smiling at them or letting them move ahead of you in line can show that person that even though you don't know them, you care about them. In most people, even the worst mood can be turned around with one simple act of kindness.

We also should treat others with respect and give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe that person that cut you off in traffic is rushing to the hospital because they just found out a loved one is injured or dying. Maybe that gruff person tapping their fingers in impatience just got fired and has no clue how they're going to tell their spouse or support their family. I'm sure many of you have gotten aggravated with people not because of what they did, but because of something else going on in your life that you were having trouble dealing with. Anger is often a much easier emotion to deal with than others because it's an emotion we feel we have control over. So when someone's reacting in annoyance or anger, show them love if you can, and pray for them if you can't.

We also need to continuously show love to others in the family of faith. Speaking from experience, just because someone seems to have it all together, doesn't mean they do. Many people mask their true feelings because they're afraid of how people would react if they knew the truth. They may be silently asking the questions "Would it set me free, if I dared to let you see the truth behind the person that you imagine me to be? Would your arms be open, or would you walk away? Would the love of Jesus be enough to make you stay?" (Casting Crowns, "Stained Glass Masquerade") The best thing we can do for these people is live our lives in such a way that they know the answer to all of these questions is a resounding "Yes!" God calls us to be a light to the whole world, even, and maybe especially, to those who have seen His light, but are finding their own to be flickering.

Songs mentioned in this post:

Sidewalk Prophets-"Save My Life"

Casting Crowns-"Stained Glass Masquerade"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Update

 Admittedly, it's been a while since my last post. The truth is, the last few months have been a bit busy. I got married in June, and most of the last few months have been taken up with wedding prep, and I've spent most of the time this last month laying down a good foundation for my marriage. I was surprised at how long it had been since my last post when I logged in to write this one. Five months is a long time between posts, especially when I was writing about once a month before that.  I've been thinking a bit about how to change my approach to writing this blog. I love writing long pieces where I dive deep into a specific spiritual issue, but as the last year has shown when that's my only focus, life can easily get in the way, and I don't end up posting to the blog at all. I'm not going to give up writing them all together, but I'm going to add in some shorter posts as well. I plan to write at least once a week, and most of the new posts will be reflect