Skip to main content

But Wait, There's More

There are a lot of things infomercials are known for. They're long, they convince people to buy things they don't really need and they hide the true price by saying that the item can be received for "just five easy payments of $19.99!" But perhaps the main thing that they're known for is by saying over and over again, "But wait, there's more!" Time and time again they offer related items for no additional price (except, of course, shipping and handling).

God is the same way. He is never content with just giving us one thing, but continues to add more and more blessings to our lives. However, unlike the informercials, his gifts don't cost a single thing. We are his children, and he loves to bless us far beyond our wildest dreams. But God doesn't stop there. He also loves to say "But wait, there's more" when times are tough. When we think our story is finished and everything is lost, He reminds us that He is not finished with us yet, and the Bible shows us proof of this truth many times.

The Israelites had just escaped over 400 years of slavery in Egypt and were headed to the land God had promised them. Back at the palace, Pharaoh has second thoughts. He rounds up his army and leads the pursuit. Suddenly, the Israelites are trapped between Pharaoh's army and the Red Sea. Death or re-enslavement seem like the only possible outcomes of the predicament they are in. But wait, there's more! God sends a powerful wind to slice a path in the middle of the waves. The chariot wheels of the pursuers get stuck in the mud as they try to cross the path. As soon as the last of God's children is safe on solid ground, the waves crash back into place, and the army that was foolish enough to try to steal from God drowns in the depths of the sea.

A woman named Naomi moves away from her homeland with her husband and sons. The sons find wives and happily ever after for the whole family seems not far away. Then all three men die, leaving three grieving widows. Since widows have almost no rights in this society, the only option for the trio is to return home to their families, where the young women can try to find a new husband and Naomi can have some comfort in her old age. But wait, there's more! One of the young women refuses to go back home, but chooses instead to stick with her mother-in-law and keep her company. After their return to Naomi's homeland, the young woman, named Ruth, goes out to glean for food, and happens to choose the field of a young man named Boaz, who is a relative of her late husband. Boaz finds out about all Ruth did for Naomi, and decides to give her extra grain. The two eventually marry, and give birth to a baby boy named Obed, who becomes the grandfather of David, the greatest king of Israel.

Speaking of David, before he was king, he was a part of one of these stories. It went like this:

The Israelite army is facing the Philistines. To avoid having a war ending in massive bloodshed, King Saul agrees to a deal: the strongest Philistine fighter against the strongest Israelite fighter. The winner's country would be allowed to enslave the citizens of the loser's country. What Saul didn't know was that the Philistines had a secret weapon. Then he walked out: a towering nine-foot giant named Goliath. There was no way any one Israelite could stand against such an obviously more powerful opponent. Day after day he came out and shouted insults about the king, the soldiers and even God Himself. It looked like the battle would never occur, and if it did, a man would die and the nation would be enslaved. But wait, there's more! David comes bringing food to his brothers, and he can't believe that Goliath is going unchallenged and offers to fight him. No one believes that this scrawny teenager can win this battle. King Saul tries to outfit David in his own armor, but it is way too big. David tells Saul not to worry because he doesn't need those things anyway. He arms himself with his shepherd's crook and slingshot, grabs five smooth stones from the riverbed and walks to a spot a stone's throw away from where Goliath stands leering at him. Goliath taunts the young hero and the army for sending a little kid to fight him. But David gets the last laugh as one of the stones finds its mark, sending the gargantuan bully to the ground. Then, with a strength not his own, David grabs Goliath's massive sword from its sheath and lops off the giant's head with a single blow.

Then comes the ultimate example, which occurred 2,000 years ago. Jesus had amassed a great deal of followers that were eagerly anticipating the coming of the kingdom of God. Then, early one Friday morning, He was arrested and sentenced to die for the blasphemy and treachery He was accused of by the religious leaders. Pilate had him flogged, but the Pharisees wanted more. They would not rest until He was dead. So Pilate reluctantly caved to their wishes, and washing his hands of the matter, turned Jesus over to be crucified. Jesus stumbled up the hill under the weight of the cross, eventually needing help from a passerby to complete the journey. He hung on the cross for six long hours, three of which were covered in darkness. While He hung there, He had to endure the taunts of an angry crowd who wanted a Messiah that came in and smacked down the Romans. Then He died, and the light of the world seemed to have been extinguished forever. But wait, there's more! Three days later, the stone rolled away from the entrance to His tomb, and He walked out, alive once more. Death was forever rendered powerless by the King that could not be held in the grave. From then on, those who believed in Him had the hope that even death was not the end of their stories.

If the God of the universe can do these things, how much more can he help you through anything you may be facing? So next time your whole world seems to be crashing down around you, listen for His voice. He is waiting to tell you, "My child, just wait. There's more."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It