Skip to main content

The Young Man in the Linen Cloth

 "A certain young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen cloth. They caught hold of him, but he left the linen cloth and ran off naked." ~ Mark 14:51-52

This quarter in Sunday School, we are working our way through the gospel of Mark, and this Sunday's lesson covered chapter 14. That chapter covers a few different events from the last week of Jesus' life and ends with His arrest, His trial, and Peter's betrayal. However, between the verses about Jesus' arrest and the ones about His trial, we find the two verses quoted above about a young man who followed Jesus that night, was grabbed, ran away naked, and was never mentioned again. For years I wondered, who was he?

A sermon I heard years ago theorized that the young man was none other than the author of the gospel himself, he was the son of the man whose house held the upper room, and that the linen cloth was actually a bedsheet. The more I think about it, the more I think that this makes a lot of sense. In writing his gospel, Mark was very succinct. There are not nearly as many details about the events of Jesus' life as the other gospels have. Including this detail means that it was particularly significant to Mark, as it would be if he were the young man. It also seems rather unlikely that he would even know about it if it weren't him. I'm sure the disciples wouldn't have noticed the young man, and not many people would blab about running through the streets of town naked after having snuck out of the house in a bedsheet. 

At evening Bible study on Sunday, we talked about this passage for a bit before we started our study. One person there thought that maybe the young man was one of the disciples. I disagree with this mainly because it doesn't make much sense. Why would one of the disciples flee from the scene fully clothed and come back practically naked soon enough that there were still people there to attempt to grab him? The person who had this theory referenced the time Peter was fishing naked after the Ressurection and had to throw on clothes to swim to shore, However, Peter being naked, or nearly so, while he was fishing makes a lot more sense than one of the disciples being practically naked at the last supper. It makes a lot more sense that the young man was someone else.

One person disagreed with my theory because there is no biblical evidence that Mark was an eyewitness to anything. While this is true, that doesn't mean that I can't have this theory. In the gospel of John, he refers to someone as the beloved disciple, and the widely held theory is that he is referring to himself in these verses, but there is no more Biblical evidence of this than of my theory. There's no reason I can't have my theory about the young man being Mark. I know I may be wrong, but this theory has unlocked my creativity enough that I wrote a short story based on it.

So who do you think the young man is? Do you agree with me that it's Mark, do you agree with the person who thought it was one of the disciples, or do you think it was someone else entirely? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It