Skip to main content

Karen is My Name, and Smashing Stereotypes is My Game

 Okay, my name isn't actually Karen. However, Karen is my mother's name and the name of other important people in my life. Unfortunately, Karen has also become a neganym, a derogatory name for any woman who insists on doing something that the user disagrees with, from refusing to wear a mask to cleaning up a mess left by the user's children. The meme originated because of one man dissing his ex-wife, but it has now morphed into a widespread insult. 

In my post Don't Be Like Judas, I mentioned that his worst act was his last one, and that's all he's remembered for now. The same is true of Benedict Arnold, and now these two names are widely used neganyms for anyone who betrays someone else. These neganyms are perfectly acceptable while using Karen as a neganym is not.

The first reason is because what Judas and Benedict Arnold did is universally seen as wrong. Almost everyone has felt the sting of betrayal at some point in their life, although for most of us it's far below the scale perpetrated by these two men. With Karen, most of the time it's used because of a disagreement. The "Karen" isn't actually doing anything wrong, it's just something that the person using that neganym disagrees with.

The other reason is that Judas and Benedict Arnold are not common names, whereas Karen is. Judas betraying Jesus was an act so heinous that even atheists don't give that name to their sons. Benedict is slightly more common, but the addition of his last name in the neganym keeps others with the name from being perceived as being as traitorous as he was.

Karen is a name that means pure, a fact I found particularly interesting when I learned it because it so accurately described all the Karens I knew at the time. Now, because of people using it as a neganym, it is rapidly losing its popularity. Sure, names often fluctuate in popularity throughout the years, but the reason this one is doing so hurts those that already have that name. I know Mom was upset when she first saw Mean Girls because the character Karen was such an idiot, and she didn't want people to see that movie and think that all Karens were stupid. Now I'm sure that she would much rather have that version of the neganym than the one we currently have.

I'm sure none of us want our name to be used in this way, so why would we want to do that to anyone else's name? God commands us in Exodus 20:7 not to use His name in vain, and I'm sure He feels the same way about the names of his children. So next time you're tempted to call someone a Karen, I would ask that you first consider how you would feel if one of your mistakes caused people to begin using your name in the same way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It