Skip to main content

Covidolatry

 "Also, it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or on the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell who does not have the mark." ~Revelation 13:16-17

It's been over a year since the pandemic started, and things are finally starting to get back to normal. Churches are opening up, high school students got to have proms and graduations, and people are once again planning vacations. However, what caused these changes had nothing to do with finally reaching herd immunity or people stepping out in faith and trusting God more than they feared the virus. These changes are coming about because of a rapidly produced, not yet fully tested vaccine.

Now, I'm not against vaccines. I have received all the vaccines given to infants, and faithfully receive my tetanus booster. I think vaccines are a great way to help eradicate deadly diseases, but they have to be developed properly. This one went from necessity to distribution in under a year, which is not nearly long enough to ensure full safety and effectiveness. They rushed it through so that the pandemic could end sooner, but that decision may come with a cost we don't even know yet.

My real objection, however, is the response of many Christians to getting the vaccine. My church didn't open up until last month because they wanted to wait until more people had gotten it, and even now, we have to wear masks because children can't get the vaccine yet. There are people I know who are fully vaccinated, but still too afraid to go out in public again. Both of these things point to people trusting in the vaccine more than they trust in God, and since the vaccine can't take away fear like God can, they are still trapped by it.

There are also people who brag about getting the vaccine on social media. Some have posted pictures of where they got their shot or their vaccine record card, others have added a frame to their profile picture, and a few people have done both. In the captions or comments of some of those photos, I have seen people demeaning those who haven't gotten the vaccine or acting like others would assume things about them because they got the vaccine.

People have even tried to convince my parents and me to get the vaccine, but none of their efforts have worked. Some have told us that getting the vaccine is the loving thing to do, but don't seem to realize that trying to guilt people into doing something is not loving. One person responded to discovering that Mom and I weren't vaccinated by telling us about someone she read about who refused to get the vaccine and is now very sick with COVID. This effort failed for two reasons. The first was that she was trying to play off a fear of the virus that we just don't have. The other is that we know people who have gotten vaccinated and had severe reactions.

The media is feeding into this idolatry quite heavily. Throughout the pandemic, they have daily reported how many new cases and deaths there has been, and once the vaccine began to be available, they added in how many people had received it that day. Now that summer is arriving, they have started telling us about all the places we can go if we're vaccinated, but we can't go if we're not. They're also quick to tell us about how fully vaccinated people can stop wearing masks and socially distancing, but those of us who haven't gotten the vaccine have to keep doing those things. Telling us this attempts to prey on our fear of exclusion and prompt us to get the vaccine so we don't stick out.

I also recently read about a concert promoter in Florida trying to prompt people to get vaccinated by offering discounted tickets to an upcoming punk rock show. However, the "discounted" tickets are $18, which is more than they're charging for a similar show later in the summer. The "full-price" tickets, on the other hand, are a whopping $999.99! Needless to say, they have not yet sold any of the ridiculously priced tickets, and chances are they never will. People would rather stay home than shell out $1000 for an $18 concert, and from perusing their Facebook page, it seems like few people, if any, got the vaccine just for the concert.

Now, I do know some people who have gotten the vaccine and see it in its proper light. My knowledge about some of my friends and family members getting it came from private conversations instead of public declarations. There are some people who post about getting the vaccine, not to pressure others into getting it, but to share their experience with it. This vaccine, like any other vaccine, is a tool that is used to help with a disease. We still have the choice whether or not to use it. At this point, the vaccine is still new enough that I would rather take my chances with the disease than get it, especially since there is currently no guarantee that it would actually prevent getting or transmitting the virus. Once there is a guarantee of sterilization immunity, I will happily get the vaccine, but until then, it's not a tool I wish to use. The virus has never scared me, so I have no need of an idol to make me feel safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It