Skip to main content

Get Out of the Boat Already

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To get out of this boat and
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown
Where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand ~ "Voice of Truth"-Casting Crowns

    Earlier this year in one of the online services, my home church did a sermon about Jesus walking on the water and Peter joining him. Our deacon talked about how important it is for us to step out in faith even when it's hard. Unfortunately, as proven by a letter we received a couple of weeks ago, she and the other leaders are still firmly in the boat when it comes to reopening the church.

    My favorite telling of this Gospel story comes from the song quoted above. No one really wants to step out of their comfort zone. In the words of Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory, "It's called the comfort zone for a reason." However, as the song says, Jesus is standing outside of our comfort zone waiting for us to join Him. He's holding out His hand and waiting for us to take it, but before we can, we've got to get out of the boat.

    So if Jesus is outside the boat waiting for us, why aren't we joining Him? It's simple: we're afraid to. Our boats right now are being tossed by the waves of a pandemic, injustice, and the aftermath of a contentious presidential election. Each wave reminds us of all that we have to lose by leaving the safety and comfort of the boat. Satan wants to keep us in the boat because he is the one who really loses when we get out of it.

    In his song "Fear is a Liar", Zach Williams describes some of the things fear does to us:

Fear, he is a liar
He will take your breath
Stop you in your steps

Fear, he is a liar
He will rob your rest
Steal your happiness

Admittedly, I struggled a lot with this the past eight months. The uncertainty of what life would look like caused crippling anxiety, and it seemed like my prayers were going nowhere. Normally, fear can't get a hold of me for too long because I always have work to focus on and church to attend, but for a while, I didn't have either. I started attending another church in June because I could see what not worshipping with others was doing to me. It wasn't easy to step out of my comfort zone and drive across town to worship in a place where I barely knew anyone, but God has blessed me so much through my time there. I can see him continuing to do so as I wait for my church to open up its doors once again.

    Mom and I have also restarted our monthly circle meetings. Many of the women who normally come have not yet joined us because they are afraid of being in a crowded restaurant. However, none of the restaurants we've gone to have been crowded. Most have tables spaced six feet apart, and sometimes even with that space there are tables blocked off, as there are in all restaurants without large spaces between tables. There are also very few people in the restaurants, likely because there are a great deal of people like these women who are afraid to come eat in a restaurant. That's one of the crafty things about our fears: they always make everything seem worse than it really is. 

    With everything going on, you probably have some things that you are afraid of. I would encourage you to step out of your boat and face them head on. God reminds us throughout Scripture that we have nothing to fear because He is always with us. So jump out of the boat with me and "cast your fear in the fire" because our fear can never speak louder than the Voice of Truth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It