Skip to main content

Once I Met Jesus

     One of the projects I started working on this summer is a collection of short stories about people in the Gospels who have a life-changing experience but don't have a name. I had been thinking about doing it for a while because I was intrigued by their stories and wondered what the rest of their lives might have been like. I knew that there was a greater depth to some of these stories than the Gospel writers mentioned. I decided to write each story from the person's perspective so readers could explore how these people viewed their interactions with Jesus.

    The first story I tackled was that of the woman caught in adultery (John 8:3-11). A sermon I heard earlier this year talked about this story. In the sermon, it was mentioned that the law stated that both parties caught in adultery should be stoned, yet only the woman was brought out. I began thinking about who the man was and why he was not implicated as well. Later on, I read the passage from Leviticus that gives this law, and I was inspired to begin writing. The story not only answers the question of who the man was and why he wasn't persecuted, but also the questions of what caused the adulterous act and what Jesus was writing.

    The next story I started on was the Samaritan woman, whose story takes up the better part of a chapter in John (4:7-42), but is known only by her nationality. The more I heard her story, the more I realized that there had to be more to it. I've always pictured her as relatively young, and five failed marriages that early had to have had really good reasons that they failed. If they failed because she was domineering or promiscuous, she would have no problems flaunting her success at every opportunity she could get. The shame that drove her to get water in the middle of the day shows that she didn't ask for any of the problems she's had with men. 

    I have also always questioned her characterization as a five-time divorcee. For as much trouble as these five past marriages have caused her, I figured at least some of the men had died under suspicious circumstances. As I wrote her story, I not only gave her a name, but I gave each of them one as well. Each of the men had a personality to match their name that ultimately led to their divorce or untimely death. I even gave a name to the immature sixth man who refused to marry her.

    The stories of these two women are just a few of the ones I ultimately want to write. Others I have considered include the Gerasene demoniac (Mark 5:2-20), the boy in the linen cloth (Mark 14:51-52), and the woman suffering from a twelve-year hemorrhage (Mark 5:25-34). These stories are just a part of the larger story of Christ's time on Earth, but each of them is important and deserves to be remembered. Writing my version of the stories gives these people a name and a backstory that they have never had before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It