Skip to main content

Getting Into Some Bad Habits

"And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching." ~ Hebrews 10:24-25, emphasis mine

    Soon after things started shutting down to help control the spread of the Coronavirus, I predicted that the longer the shutdowns drug on, the harder it would be to start things up again once it was safe to do so. Now that most places are opened up again, I am starting to see that I was right. Stores and restaurants aren't nearly as busy as they used to be, movie theatre chains aren't yet opening their doors even in the locations where they can do so, and events that had been rescheduled from spring to summer are rescheduling again to next year. In most cases, this doesn't bother me because it means I don't have to deal with as many people while I'm out and about. The one place it does bother me is churches falling prey to this, and unfortunately, my church is one of them.
    As Christians, we can't allow anything to keep us from meeting together. When we are separated, we are vulnerable to Satan's attacks. Already, I am seeing people who are normally very nice becoming quite condemnatory toward others, and the recent protests have not helped this one bit. We are the body of Christ, but when we don't meet together, we become disconnected and that lack of connection leads to the body not functioning the way it should. When the body's not functioning properly, we're no longer representing Christ well.
    I can understand that some people want to stay safe, and that's fine, but there's a thin line between being cautious and being fearful. Too many people are giving in to fear, and when we are fearful we are not trusting. I would rather be like the woman described in Proverbs 31 who "laughs without fear of the future" (v. 25). Many of our brothers and sisters throughout history have continued to meet even when they knew that being discovered meant certain death. So why are we refusing to meet to save ourselves from a disease that kills less than one percent of the people who get it?
    Now I know that our 21st-century technology allows for ways to meet that aren't in-person, such as online church services and Zoom meetings. However, these things don't really replace being in community with our brothers and sisters in Christ. I know I was getting complacent watching our church service online. Most Sundays, I didn't even get dressed before we started, and only sang along with the worship music half the time. Once I started watching along with the Facebook watch party hosted by the deacon, I was slightly more engaged, but still not nearly as much as I would be in a real church service. As for the Zoom meetings, they were laughably ill-attended, and we aren't even doing them anymore.
    Yes, there are many who can say that they or someone in their household is considered high-risk, and I understand their desire to not come to church at this time. However, at least with people at my church, most weren't showing up to the online meetings either. There are also many people who aren't susceptible, and there's no reason to keep them from being able to attend an in-person service. Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them." (Matthew 18:20).
    My mom is someone who is at a higher risk, but she's also someone who is ready to get back. She's diabetic, but she is very vigilant about eating healthy, working out three times a week, and drinking plenty of water. In addition, we both wear masks when we're out of the house. So even though she's considered more vulnerable, she's not afraid.
    My church sent out a survey about resuming in-person worship, and we got a letter with the results a couple of weeks ago. The negative responses to the survey were varied, but I think the root of the problem is that some people have become comfortable with not meeting together. What else would prompt such crazy responses as "I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable attending public gatherings" and not wanting to return until "Other public gatherings have resumed" like concerts and sporting events? Both of those types of events would draw vastly larger crowds than any of our church services ever have.
    I know of a few people, myself included, who have started attending other churches. As I mentioned before, online worship was becoming no more than just something I watched in my pajamas on Sunday morning, and I knew that had to change. So when I heard my friend's church was opening up again, I jumped at the chance to go back to a church building. The fact that my friend and her family were out of town last Sunday did nothing to change my decision, and I am so glad I went anyway. Being around people again and worshiping God together was amazing. I didn't know anyone, but it really didn't matter because we are all sisters and brothers in Christ. I plan to go back at least once more and might even continue going until my church finally opens up again. I need that fuel to get me through my week.
    We were created to be in community with each other, and this pandemic has begun to destroy that within some of our churches. Early on, I saw a meme about how closing churches would show that the Church was never about the building. While this is true, the Church is about community and connectedness, and that doesn't seem to be happening right now while the buildings are staying closed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It