Skip to main content

The Monster Within

"I hate what I've become
The nightmare's just begun
I must confess that I feel like a monster"~Skillet, "Monster"

Today is Halloween, a day when ghosts, goblins, and monsters come out of the shadows and freely roam the Earth. Well, sort of. The origins of the holiday as we know it stemmed from that belief, but in reality, it's more of a day to dress up and have fun. However, there is a type of monster that we need to watch out for, one that, unfortunately, can show up at any time and in any place: the monster that lives within our own hearts.

In some people, this monstrous version of themselves is quite obvious. Just in the last week, those of us in America heard about at least two of them: one who sent bombs to politicians and one who murdered 11 people as they worshiped in a synagogue. Those were just the ones who made the national news. In big cities, there are even more of these monstrous people wandering about. Where I live, I hear about at least one local monster every week.

Even those of us who aren't total monsters can have some monstrous tendencies. We inwardly curse a maniac driver, we're short tempered with our loved ones, we insist on having our own way. Even when we're not being monstrous to others, we can be monstrous to ourselves. We tell ourselves things that we would never even dream of saying to others and would never allow others to say to us. As much as we may hate this side of ourselves, we can't seem to escape it. We may fight back for a while, but we eventually fall prey to it's tantalizing grasp once more.

Is this our fate? Are we doomed to eventually be taken over by the monster within? Yes, if we continue to fight it on our own. The good news is, we don't have to.

As followers of Christ, we have an Advocate who is willing and able to help us at our weakest times. Hebrews 4:15 states, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin." Jesus got angry, but he did it without sinning. Perhaps the most famous example of this is the cleansing of the temple, which is one of the few stories recorded almost the same way in all four Gospels (Matthew 21:12-13, Mark 11:15-17, Luke 19:45-46, John 2:13-16). So getting angry is not a sin, the sin comes in what we do with it.

The monster within us craves control, and the only way to defeat it is to surrender to the One who is able to keep it in control. Knowing Christ's record with his anger is proof that we can trust Him with ours. I'm not saying it will be easy, but it can be done. We just have to make the choice to let Jesus take control and stop that monster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It