Skip to main content

Waiting in the Wings

Evil may have its time in the spotlight, but love is waiting in the wings~"Waiting in the Wings"-Point of Grace

Earlier this month, America voted in its 45th president. Prior to the election, many feared what would happen when our next president took office, with both sides fearful of what the other candidate would do. The results calmed the fears of many, but also kindled the fears of many. Groups of those who were unhappy with who was chosen took to the streets to protest, some peacefully, but also many not so peacefully. This has caused many to become fearful not because of what our new president might do, but because of what the rioters are already doing.

There have also been things unrelated to the election that have caused people to be fearful. Two weeks ago, a young mother was killed and her child kidnapped. On Monday, a young man at Ohio State University attacked fellow students by driving onto a crowded sidewalk and then chasing people with a meat cleaver. There have been shootings in the past several years at schools, movie theatres, and all kinds of other places. A wave of questionable police-involved shooting of African-American men has led to a movement that claims to stand for black lives, but too often does so with no regards to non-black lives. And these are just the things going on in America. 

As long as we are here on Earth, we will have to deal with evil. We live in a world that is far removed from the paradise God created it to be. However, this world isn't all there is. The promise of God is that even when evil surrounds us and we fear for our very lives, He is still there. There is nothing that happens to us that happens without the presence of God. Some have claimed that the evil we face is proof that God doesn't exist, but in truth, that evil stems from rejection of God, not His absence. There's always more to our story than just what we are able to see, and no matter the evil we face in this life, there is a God who loves us more than we could ever imagine. He invites us to accept His great love for us, and when we do, He offers us a new life that will never end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Update

 Admittedly, it's been a while since my last post. The truth is, the last few months have been a bit busy. I got married in June, and most of the last few months have been taken up with wedding prep, and I've spent most of the time this last month laying down a good foundation for my marriage. I was surprised at how long it had been since my last post when I logged in to write this one. Five months is a long time between posts, especially when I was writing about once a month before that.  I've been thinking a bit about how to change my approach to writing this blog. I love writing long pieces where I dive deep into a specific spiritual issue, but as the last year has shown when that's my only focus, life can easily get in the way, and I don't end up posting to the blog at all. I'm not going to give up writing them all together, but I'm going to add in some shorter posts as well. I plan to write at least once a week, and most of the new posts will be reflect