Skip to main content

November 9

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."~John 16:33

As my American readers know, November 8 is Election Day, and the buildup to that day has been incredibly pretentious, especially in the race for the presidency. Each of the two major parties have a candidate that is hated by everyone in the other party, and even some people from their own. Many people have made the decision to vote for their party's candidate not because they want them in the White House, but because they don't want the other party's nominee in there. There are also many choosing to vote for a third party candidate as an act of protest against their party, even though our nation's two-party system renders any third party candidate not viable. Social media has fueled this mutual hatred and release of venom by making it incredibly easy for even the most seemingly insignificant person to make their voice heard.

While I don't know who the President-Elect will be on November 9, I do know who will really be in control of this great nation, and that is Jesus Christ. Nothing any of us can ever do will change this. He was there when this nation was founded, and He will be here until the very end. Some may wonder how this can be with our only options being deeply flawed candidates, but I believe that God can use people that no one would expect to further his kingdom. 

The Bible has many examples of this, with the most prominent being King David. He is the only person in the Bible to be called "a man after God's own heart," yet his resume is not one that would suggest him as such. He once stayed home instead of leading his troops into battle, watched a young woman bathing, and then committed adultery with this woman. When he discovered she was pregnant, he arranged for her husband to return home to sleep with her, and when the husband refused, King David arranged for him to be killed and took the woman as his wife. Faced with a candidate with that past, most of us would not want to elect him, yet he is revered to this day as one of ancient Israel's greatest kings, and was important enough that the Savior of the world came through his lineage.

King David is not the only black spot in the lineage of Jesus. There's Jacob, who used trickery to rob his older brother Esau of both his birthright and his blessing; Judah, who fathered twins with his daughter-in-law Tamar; Rahab, a former prostitute; and Rehoboam, David's grandson, who aided in the destruction of his kingdom by listening to his own stupid friends rather than his father's trusted advisors. Yet all of these people were a part of the family of Jesus.

There were others important in the story of the Bible who were just as bad, and in some cases worse. Moses was a murderer who had to flee for his life from Egypt years before God called him to lead the Israelites out of there. Peter was a hothead who chopped off a servant's ear during Jesus' arrest, and later that night, denied three times that he was ever a follower. Before Paul brought the Gospel of Christ to the Gentiles, he went around persecuting Christians, including watching the coats of the men who stoned Stephen, the first Christian martyr. If all of these imperfect people could be a part of God's plan to redeem humanity, than He can use an imperfect candidate to bring America out of the dark season we find ourselves in. We just have to trust Him and never stop praying for our leaders and our nation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It