Skip to main content

For Those Who Can't Speak

"27 million slaves, no plantation. 27 million slaves, all different races."~Tenth Avenue North, "For Those Who Can't Speak

Around the world, 27 million people are enslaved, many in the sex trade. To put that number in perspective, that figure is close to the entire population of Texas, the second largest state in America both in terms of area and population. If every one of those slaves held hands, they could completely encircle the globe. It's really quite a big deal, and keeps getting bigger. Estimates are that at least 17,500 people are brought into the United States each year to be enslaved, with some estimates running as high as 60,000. In every country in the world, slavery is illegal, so correct statistics are difficult to find. Which means that there might be many more slaves than anyone knows about, and that is a scary thought. No one should be forced into working for someone else without compensation, which is why slavery was outlawed in the United States in 1863.

Some of the other statistics are also frightening. Many of the slaves from other countries are young men and women seeking a new life in the United States, and are enticed here with promises to have that. Then when they get here, they are made to work to pay off the debt of bringing them to America, and often the employer has them keep working for little to no pay long after the debt has been paid. Also, citizens can be brought into the sex trade as young as 13 or 14 years old. These young women are often expected to make a certain amount of money or have sex with a certain number of men each night. Any profits from their work go directly to their pimp, leaving them with no compensation for the shame they must endure nightly. Nights after major events are horrible for this, especially the Super Bowl. For this reason, seductive ads during the Super Bowl have started to really grate on my nerves because I know the price some women are paying afterward.

So what can we do about it? We can refuse to stay silent about what we know. The reason human trafficking is so prevalent is that it is hidden, so few know what's going on. The more those of us who know about it speak up, the more people will know what's happening. That's the goal Tenth Avenue North is pursuing with their new song "For Those Who Can't Speak." They have quite a following and quite a platform, and they are using it to speak up for those trapped in slavery who can't speak up for themselves. Here is the music video for their song:


My platform is much smaller than theirs, but I too am joining the fight and speaking up. We may not completely eradicate slavery, but we can at least make people aware of it, and awareness is the first step in tackling anything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alread

2016 Year in Review

2016 was a bit of a roller coaster year for me, with glorious highs interspersed with terrifying lows. Fortunately, there were more highs than lows. Here in no particular order are the highs and lows of the past year. HIGHS: Spending time with Jojo: Jojo is my cousin Jessica's 18-month-old daughter, and due to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to see her at Thanksgiving or Christmas last year. However this year, I got to spend a great deal of time with her at both holidays, as well as during her dad's birthday party in September. Since she was older at the time I got to know her, I was able to build a better and more lasting relationship with her that will only grow as she gets older. My summer job: This summer, I was the chauffeur/activity supervisor for Ally and Kira, two of my friend Katherine's granddaughters. Throughout the course of the summer, I took them to camps, to the pool, to the park, and to church activities. They taught me how to use

Outside Looking In

(My post Life>Death  chronicles my struggle with suicidal depression. This story is based on the vision God used to save my life.) It all started after the knife sliced through my wrist. As I watched my life drain away, I felt a sense of peace. I knew my pain was finally over. Soft arms lifted me up and carried me off to Heaven. There I watched as my parents found my body. They started to cry, which I had expected. What I hadn't expected was what they were saying. "What did we do wrong?" they cried out. "Nothing!" I screamed. "You did nothing wrong!" But they couldn't hear me. What had I done? As my friends and other family members found out about my death, they said the same thing, and I continued screaming that it wasn't their fault. Their reactions caused me to be in agony, which struck me as strange. If indeed I was in Heaven, wasn't I supposed to be pain free? That is what I had always been taught. Then came my funeral. It