Skip to main content

Poem for Moore, Oklahoma

Monday, May 20
A day that started just fine
Then shortly before three o'clock
Sirens began to whine

Before they knew it
A tornado touched down
And with high-powered winds
Started plowing through town

For forty long minutes
It twisted and tore
'Til most buildings in town
Were rendered no more

When the dust had settled
And the sky had cleared
People emerged from their shelter
And all were saddened to hear

Of 24 lives
Tragically snuffed out
377 more were injured
As the twister carved its route

Despite all the damage
The whirlwind did commit
God's still in control
And can bring good out of it

God, please be with
Those left behind
Give them strength to go on
Dry the tears that they cry

Help us to know
That You still reign
Even when we're faced
With sorrow and pain

Help us to remember
That all of Your plans
Are for our benefit
Our future is in Your hands

Wrap your arms around us
And we will know then
You'll love us forever
In Your Son's name, Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changed and Transformed

I am currently starting the fourth week of an online Bible study based on the book Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life  by Wendy Blight. I was drawn to the study because of the title. When I first saw it, I thought, Living so that what? Where's the rest of the title?  I now realize that the title was referring to those verses in the Bible that have the words so that  in them. The book has five chapters, each split into five parts and having a memory verse tied to the topic of that chapter. In the study, we are doing one chapter a week, and can split up the five readings for the week however we want to. I choose to read them on weekdays right after breakfast so that  I start each work day with some time spent in God's Word. Chapter One is "Jesus Came So That," and the memory verse is John 3:16. I figured, I know that verse in two languages. I got this.  I didn't figure I would have any trouble with that week because I alre...

Help Me Find It

Much of my life has not been easy. There are many times when God's will for my life didn't seem very clear. One of those times was just after I graduated college in December 2011. Less than a week after my graduation, I found I was not admitted into the school counseling program, which was my second choice of masters programs. I had been planning to get a master's in special education, but after two failed student teaching attempts, that future was no longer possible. So right before Christmas, I found out that other than having my apartment for another semester, there was really no good reason to return to Manhattan. I did return, and ended up taking a couple of classes. I considered looking into another master's degree program. After much prayer, I decided that instead of jumping into applying for another master's program, it would be better for me to return home at the end of the semester and get a job as a para so I could gain more experience working with childr...

I'm a What, Now?

"But you, dear children, are from God and have overcome them because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world"~1 John 4:4 Those of you who read my post " Life>Death " will remember that I talked about a young woman who called herself a suicide survivor because her father took his own life, and then used her status as an endorsement to talk about how suicide was not a selfish act. In my post, I stated that since she did not actually survive suicide, she was not a suicide survivor. However, I found out recently that family and friends of suicide victims being called "suicide survivors" is a thing. As in a psychologist-defined, support group namesake thing. As someone who has actually survived the temptation to commit suicide, this fact is quite frustrating. One reason is because of people like the young lady mentioned in my other post thinking they are experts in suicide because they are "suicide survivors." I don...